Thursday, October 2, 2014

Vintage Quilt Thursday: Baby Bowties


I found this little gem for Vintage Quilt Thursday stuffed in a box I was sorting through for our next Vintage Yard Sale (October 11 at 8am. Its a Part 2 since we are gathering more stuff that didn't make it last time).

I am guessing I bought it at a thrift store years and years ago. Its a baby size quilt, very soft from washing and wear, and is just as sweet as it can be.

Oh, hello big jugs of Best Press and Miss Kate flannel charm squares. I really need to get one of those jugs.


 

I love the variety of fabrics. Did they come from clothes? Scraps swapped with neighbors?



I think this block is my favorite block, those sweet yellow flowers. And can you see the "make do" piecing? The pink sashing above the square is pieced to fit. I know I have done that before (my reason was cutting errors)

Recreating this block and writing up a tutorial should be my most challenging block. Its has Y seams. Y seams, or partials seams, aren't difficult, its just a different way of  piecing. This tutorial with Y seams will be good practice for a pattern and sew a long (its a quilt!) that Heather and I are plotting.


 And one more early morning picture. This shows how loved this quilt was and now how thin it has become. I hope the quilts I have made and gifted are used and loved too.

I  added a few new newsprint low volume fabrics to the shop. They are kind of awesome.

See you next Thursday when I will post a Baby Bowtie tutorial for you. I am thinking it will include a pdf printout. Is anyone out there trying out some of these blocks? Happy Sewing

2 comments: